Thursday, April 17, 2014

To My DAUGHTER'S FUTURE HUSBAND



  Let me start this off with a bit of harsh truth. I don't have to like you. You don't have to like me either. But because my daughter has chosen you to become her husband...WE WILL HAVE TO RESPECT EACH OTHER. Now that doesn't mean that I neither like or respect you now because I do...a very little bit HAHAHAHA but I do. But it's just that this moment in my daughter's life is signaling a beginning to an end...in short SHIT JUST GOT REAL. This marriage is the proverbial nail in my coffin and I am just not ready to accept it yet. To your credit, you have had two things that have worked in your favor over the last couple of years...my daughter has really grown to love you and my wife her mother actually finds you pleasant but that wasn't enough for me to fawn over you and damn sure not enough for me to accept you as my "son". You have to understand that I have spent her entire life dreading this very moment, so forgive me if I do not share in your joint enthusiasm. You are now becoming much more than that polite and well groomed young man that our daughter continued to bring over to the house for dinner. You will no longer be just her boyfriend or her fiance. You are about to become so much more to her and to this family. You are about to walk down the aisle and literally take my baby girl out of my hands and away from me. You are about to change my daughter's last name from the one I gave her the day her mother brought her into this world to a hyphenated version that includes yours...so yeah I'm still a little sour about this whole marriage thing.

   For the last couple of decades I have been the most constant man in her life a staple of sorts. I have been the shoulder she cried on when assholes made tears fall from her eyes. I was in her corner encouraging her to punch back when the world had her up against the ropes. I has holding her when she smiled her first beautiful smile. I was standing behind her when she took her first steps. Talking to her when she spoke her first words. Sitting next to her in the passenger seat as she first learned how to drive. The loudest one clapping in the audience when she earned her first degree. I have been there for every important first in her life since she became the most important first in my life so you are accepting a monumental responsibility. You are about to take all that away from me and create a whole new world of firsts with her which I am both sad and happy about. But to be honest what bothers me most is that she will now be looking to you to help provide for her, protect her and keep her happy. You are taking away every job I had as her father and making them your own as her husband. Know that I wasn't perfect in that role but I did my best not to fuck up and you damn sure better do the same! You have never given me a bad gut feeling about your character or your intentions toward my baby (and fair warning I do know that ya'll have had sex but that is another issue I will address at a later time!) but that doesn't makes this pill any easier to swallow.

  You know by now how special she is to her mother and I. We have did our best to prepare her to stand on her own or by the side of a mate, so I can tell you that you are going into this thing with the best possible partner. But also remember that in that preparation we also taught her not to accept anything less than the best. Her mother taught her not to take any shit from any person let alone a man and I trained her what to do if anyone attempted to do give her any. So when you have your issues just remember she is my daughter and if you do ANYTHING that causes her to come home bruised, broken or in pain due to your anger whether provoked or not YOUR ASS belongs to me and her Uncle Speaker and her 12 little cousins will be coming to visit you. But the promises of retribution aside...I believe you to be a good dude if I didn't this wedding would not be happening with my blessing or our money. Our daughter is my legacy. She is my greatest achievement, one of the two halves of my heart and soul. So please understand that I will do everything in my power to see her happy in life which means I will protect and defend her with my last breath even if that means going against you. As the future "CO-NUMBER ONE MAN" in her life you will have to accept sooner or later that she will always be more than just your future wife and or mother of your children...she is the product of a great love and will be treated as such. A love that I am grateful to have experienced as you should be if you already are not. And until you have learned to appreciate and respect that fact you will ALWAYS be seen and treated by me as my daughter's husband instead of the son-in-law I would welcome with open arms. I am giving you the greatest gift that was ever given to me, so I beg you please...don't make me regret it.

Respectfully Still Number One
Your future wife's father


"Those that have greatness in them also possess the power...to bring greatness out of those around them." - TWIL

No comments:

Post a Comment