Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I Am HER HUSBAND'S MISTRESS




   No one ever believes you when you tell them "it just happened" or "it wasn't my fault" when you are referring to something as negative as engaging in an affair. People tend to think that any form of cheating is intentional and premeditated. Well until I became caught up in a torrid affair I thought the same way. But in all honesty it did just happen and it wasn't my fault. Now before you judge, allow me to give you the history and facts behind this drama. My girl and I have been friends since we were freshman in high school. Since the day we met we have been almost inseparable. As the years past we became closer than twin sisters. But it seems that fate has a sense of humor because it would be a set of twins that would ultimately play the role of potential spoiler to our relationship. During our junior year in college we went on a double date with twins, two young men that were very attractive and mentally stimulating. Tiffany would eventually fall in love with Michael while Marcus and I would have an off-on relationship over the next couple of years. Michael and Tiffany would eventually marry five years later and end up living three states away.

   Even though she married and moved away we still spoke daily and scheduled at least one weekend a month so that we get together and catch up. During one of our off periods which had lasted about six months I unexpectedly bumped into Marcus while on a business trip in New York City. After a couple of drinks we ended up in his hotel room. Because of our history it felt familiar and safe so I had no remorse about this particular one night stand. We exchanged emails and parted ways keeping in constant contact for a couple of weeks after our encounter. The result of our chance meeting seemed to re-light our old fires. But it wasn't until I spoke to Tiffany during one of our weekend get togethers that I realized something awful had happened that night. She told me that Michael had cheated on her and she had found the evidence. She described the night her husband returned from New York after a week long business trip. She cried as she explained to me that she found a folded piece of perfume scented paper containing an email address in his coat. She told me she listened to her female intuition and got his account password. Upon checking his email she had found numerous conversations that explicitly detailed the night he shared with another women.

   As I tried to console her while she told me her heartbreaking story I realized that I had unwittingly participated in her husband's infidelity. The night I had spent with Marcus in New York was actual a well executed lie because it was not Marcus but Michael that I had shared the bed with. He recognized me and pretended to be Marcus that night and as we consumed drinks he took me to his bed under false pretences. My mind started to race and panic because even though the email exchanges never mentioned my name it wouldn't be long before she connected the dots or worse Michael confessed. Now my heart breaks because I realize the position I am in. If I confess to her that the affair wasn't intentional on my part I risk breaking her heart even more AND losing a dear friend. But if I say nothing I run the risk of Michael lying and saying I seduced him after she confronts him about the affair which would undoubtedly make her hate me. I cried with her as she tried to figure why and how she would continue with her life. I asked myself the question of how as well. How? How do I tell her that I am directly responsible for the pain and anguish she is feeling? How do I tell her that I am the reason her marriage may be over? How do I tell my best friend, my sister, my heart that I am her husband's mistress.

Be BETTER TODAY, than you were yesterday
TWIL

No comments:

Post a Comment